Friday, April 29, 2011

Maybe if we tried...

Maybe if we tried to be sick all the time, we will actually be healthy? There has to be something I am doing wrong because the kids and I are sick all. the. time.

Both girls had nasty eye/sinus drainage last week and despite being on antibiotics, both their nastiness moved into their lungs and took a toll on their little bodies. Campbell is on antibiotics and eye drops, and Peyton is on two strong antibiotics and eye drops as well. Brad has been sick with the girls but I had successfully managed to escape the germs. Until Wednesday. Woke up and knew it was my turn with the gunk. Today I have felt worse than I have in a very, very long time.

Last night was a very long night. The girls took turns waking up with fevers and forceful coughs that caused them to throw up. And as soon as I was able to lay my head on the pillow for a few brief moments, I would wake up to Brad coughing so hard it shook the bed. (Yet, he slept through it. Really, folks, really?). This morning at 8:15, I got on the phone with the pediatrician and made an appointment. Thankfully, we were able to get an appointment for 10:30. I was planning on taking a long shower during that time to ease my chest discomfortant and let the girls play while I did that. But nope. It took us two hours to get ready because as soon as I would get Campbell cleaned up from vomit, Peyton would be covered in green gunk, and so it went on. Back and forth, back and forth. I added three new loads of laundry to the ever growing pile.

Finally, I was able to throw the girls in the car and off we went. Of course today would be the day we had to spend forever in the waiting room. We have been very lucky with extremely short wait times, until today. Finally it was our turn. Both girls had temps over 100, and both were very irritable. We went over the entirel list of symptoms (which took a good 10 minutes) and the doctor was concerned about their coughs and decided to check their oxygen saturations. Peyton was 87 and Campbell was 91%. Nothing dangerous, but too low for comfort. At this point, the doctor discussed the possibility of admitting both girls to the hospital since, 1) they have been sick for awhile now despite being on strong antibiotics, and 2) due to the fact that there is a large outbreak of severe bronchiolitis going around. She already had to send two other patients to the hospital that morning. Breathing treatments were ordered for both girls and wow, they were so good with those. Peyton had a little meltdown at one point, but I think it was because everything hurts and she really just doesn't feel well. Afterwards, both girls' oxygen levels went up to 94 and the doctor said no hospital at this point. But if they do not improve, or if they get worse, over the weekend, off to Children's Hospital we go.

So we are home with the diagnoses of bad cases of bronchiolitis for both girls and we are doing the inhaler every 4 hours for two days in addition to the antibiotics. Eye drops have been stopped thankfully. Do you know how hard it is to put eye drops in a two year old's eyes? Not an easy feat, let me tell ya. I am begging both girls to take a nap to rest their bodies and to let me rest as well. But of course, they are wired from the inhaler and running laps around the house. I think a nap is going to be out of the question. I did ask if I could give Peyton some Dimetapp for her cold and cough, and unfortunately was told no, not until she is four years old - something I knew, but hey, a mom can hope for a good night of sleep, right?


No comments: